Who's In First League Management

The Top of the Standings

Monday, March 9, 2009

Everyday Athlete: Seth on Ice Hockey

Welcome to the first edition of the "Everyday Athlete" series where we will interview rec athletes about their favorite sports. The athletes interviewed participate in a variety of sports, across a wide spectrum of skill levels and are located all over the country. None of the athletes interviewed are professionals and mainly compete in their sports or events at nights or on the weekends. It is the purpose of this series to show that anyone can get out, play sports and keep sporting, regardless of age, athletic ability, or life activities.

If you would like to be the subject of an upcoming "Everyday Athlete" segment, please feel free to Contact Us

1. NAME: Seth

2. LOCATION: Chicago, IL

3. SPORT YOU PARTICIPATE IN: Ice Hockey

4. WHAT POSITION DO YOU PLAY? Defense

5. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING HOCKEY? 29 Years.

6. IF YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING SINCE YOU WERE A YOUTH, DO YOU HAVE MORE FUN NOW OR BACK THEN? WHY? It is different. Back then it was about (in a Canadian accent) learning how to skate and how to play the game. It was also more competitive, especially in High School. Now it is more about the exercise and social aspect.

7. ON A SCALE OF 1-10, RATE YOUR ABILITIES: 7

8. HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK (OR MONTH) DO YOU PLAY? About once a week.

9. WHAT GOT YOU STARTED PLAYING HOCKEY? I signed myself up in Kindergarten because I was proud that I knew my name, address and phone number.

10. WHAT KEEPS YOU PLAYING? It is the only sport I am good at and it has been such a big part of my life that I would hate to see go away.

11. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT ON THE ICE? Winning the State Championship in High School.

12. HAVE YOU PLAYED WITH OR AGAINST ANYONE FAMOUS? WHO? AND WHO WON THE GAME? I have played against some ex-Blackhawks in my league – nobody famous. I have also played in a couple charity games with some more famous ex-Blackhawks.

13. ANY GOOD INJURY STORIES? I have broken both wrists. I have injured more people than have injured me. At the age of 13, when kids are allowed to ‘check', I was one to grow quicker than others and subsequently sent a few people to the hospital without any intent to injure. I once had the parents of kids on an opposing team threaten me as I walked off the ice. My dad quickly took care of that situation.

14. DO YOU PLAY WITH AN ORGANIZED TEAM OR GENERALLY PLAY PICK UP? I play on an organized team. From time to time I will play in rat time or pick up games.

15. IF YOU PLAY WITH AN ORGANIZED TEAM, HOW DID YOU FIND THE TEAM YOU ARE ON? DID YOU KNOW OTHERS ON THE TEAM WHEN YOU STARTED? I joined both of my teams through people I played with or against in High School.

16. APPROXIMATELY HOW MUCH DOES IT COST YOU PER YEAR TO PLAY HOCKEY? Wow. Including equipment, sticks, tape and league fees, about $1,000.

17. DO YOU PLAY YEAR ROUND OR JUST IN THE WINTER? Year-round with a one-month break in between seasons.

18. WOULD YOU LET YOUR KIDS PLAY HOCKEY WHEN THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH? Yes. Even my daughter.

19. ANY ADVICE FOR SOMEONE JUST STARTING TO PLAY? The younger you start the better you will be.

Thanks for the interview Seth! And remember, if you would like to be a feature of an "Everyday Athlete" segment, Contact Us

Keep sporting!
- Who's In First

No comments: