Who's In First League Management

The Top of the Standings

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Everyday Athlete: Andy on Golf

Welcome to the second edition of the "Everyday Athlete" series where we will interview rec athletes about their favorite sports. The athletes interviewed participate in a variety of sports, across a wide spectrum of skill levels and are located all over the country. None of the athletes interviewed are professionals and mainly compete in their sports or events at nights or on the weekends. It is the purpose of this series to show that anyone can get out, play sports and keep sporting, regardless of age, athletic ability, or life activities.

If you would like to be the subject of an upcoming "Everyday Athlete" segment, please feel free to Contact Us

1. NAME: Andy

2. LOCATION: Denver, Colorado

3. SPORT YOU PARTICIPATE IN: Golf

4. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING GOLF? Since I was 8 years old. So that’s almost 30 years now.

5. IF YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING SINCE YOU WERE A YOUTH, DO YOU HAVE MORE FUN NOW OR BACK THEN? WHY? I had a lot of fun playing when I was growing up. Playing with my family, trying to impress them with my game. A lot of “firsts” happen when you’re young and learning the game and that’s always fun (first par, first birdie, first time breaking 100 / 90 / etc.). I will say, though, that as I got older, I found more “friends” who play the game, and that’s also a lot of fun for me. Giving each other a hard time when we miss a shot, playing a match for a few bucks, getting away from everyday pressures by playing a round of golf. All that stuff makes golf really fun now. So I’d have to say it’s a tie. I had a lot of fun when I was young for certain reasons, and I have a lot of fun now for other reasons.

6. ON A SCALE OF 1-10, RATE YOUR ABILITIES. I’m a 6 handicap, and golfers always want to improve. So I’d rate myself a 7, with plenty of room for improvement.

7. HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK (OR MONTH) DO YOU PLAY? During the season, I play 9 holes once a week after work and at least one full round each weekend. So, let’s say I’m on a golf course in some capacity at least 8 times a month, not counting practice sessions.

8. WHAT GOT YOU STARTED PLAYING GOLF? My aunt won the NJ state ladies amateur championship in 1980 when I was 8. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. Plus, other kids played basketball or baseball or some other sport. I wanted to do something different. (Remember, 1980 was way before Tiger Woods, so playing golf wasn’t as cool as it is now)

9. WHAT KEEPS YOU PLAYING? The desire to get better. There’s a great quote on golf that sums it up pretty well – You can never “beat” golf, you can never “win” against golf. You can only play the game. Plus, to me, there is no better feeling than being in the zone on the golf course. Walk up to your ball, picture the shot in your mind, execute the shot. When you pull that off consistently, it feels pretty amazing.

10. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT ON THE LINKS? First time I broke 80 was a pretty big deal. First time I broke par for 9 holes was pretty amazing as well. Now I want to break par for 18 holes. That would be pretty cool.

11. HAVE YOU PLAYED WITH OR AGAINST ANYONE FAMOUS? WHO? AND WHO SHOT A BETTER SCORE? Nope, but I was a caddy for years when I lived in New Jersey and caddied for a number of celebrities including Neil Young & Joe Pesci.

12. ANY GOOD INJURY STORIES? I got pissed one time after four putting a green and slammed the head of the putter against my ankle. Hurt so bad and I fell to the ground like I’d been shot. The walk (or should I say limp) of shame back to the clubhouse was something I’ll never forget.

13. ANY CRAZY SHOTS? Lots. My favorite is actually 2 shots. On back-to-back rounds, from the same place on the 13th fairway on my home course in NJ, I holed out for eagle (a 2 on a par 4). Another favorite was an amazing shot I hit to the 8th green at Pebble Beach. Go look up the hole on Google because the simple act of hitting that green in 2 is worth a story in and of itself. What a great golf hole. Maybe my favorite hole I’ve ever played.

14. DO YOU PLAY IN AN ORGANIZED LEAGUE? WHY? I play in a league organized by my office once a week for 9 holes. I do it to keep the rust off during the golf season, and to get out and about with some work people.

15. IF YOU PLAY IN AN ORGANIZED LEAGUE, HOW DID YOU FIND THE TEAM/LEAGUE YOU ARE ON? DID YOU KNOW OTHERS IN THE LEAGUE WHEN YOU STARTED? My office has a league. Didn’t know anyone but decided to play because I was new to Denver and figured it would be a good way to meet people.

16. APPROXIMATELY HOW MUCH DOES IT COST YOU PER YEAR TO PLAY GOLF? No clue. Don’t want to think about it, to be honest. Whatever I spend, it’s definitely worth it, in my opinion. I will say that Denver has plenty of great golf options, at very affordable prices compared to other cities across the country.

17. DO YOU PLAY YEAR ROUND? IF YES, HOW ARE YOU ABLE TO PLAY IN THE WINTER MONTHS? Yes. Colorado has some mild days in the winter and Denver is warmer than many people think. So the courses are open almost year round.

18. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND PLAYING GOLF TO YOUTH LOOKING TO PICK UP A SPORT? WHY? Absolutely. Teaches discipline, manners and focus. Kids learn a lot of life lessons from the game of golf…particularly how to deal with adversity.

19. WHAT ABOUT ADULTS LOOKING FOR A NEW SPORT? WHY? Absolutely, for the same reasons as #18. Also, there’s a great line about golf and golfers – “You can learn more about someone from playing one round of golf with them than you can in 20 years of doing business together.”

20. ANY ADVICE FOR SOMEONE JUST STARTING TO PLAY? Pace of play is important. If you’re about to hit your 10th shot on a hole, PLEASE pick up and move along to the next tee. And if you’re just starting out, spend more time on the practice green than the driving range. Learning the short game is the best way to improve your scores fast, regardless of how you hit it from tee to green.

21. ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO ADD? Best sport in the world. I would trade my involvement in every other sport I play for golf in a heartbeat. I don’t know what I’d do if I was told I could never play golf again.

Thanks for the interview Andy! And remember, if you would like to be a feature of an "Everyday Athlete" segment, Contact Us

Keep sporting!
- Who's In First

No comments: