Who's In First League Management

The Top of the Standings

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sage Advice

Never one to be late, I arrived to the gym last night before my basketball game early to run on the treadmill and watch the final moments of the early games.

As I was standing in the gym by the door an elderly gentleman approached and asked if I knew who was playing in the games going on at the time. I told him who was on the court and he looked relieved, “Good, I can see my grandson play.”

I offered him a chair to sit on and he watched intently as the last few minutes of the game winded down. His grandson’s team was literally up by 50, so we had a chance to introduce ourselves and pass a few pleasantries back and forth.

As the final buzzer sounded, the old man hopped to his feet and motioned me closer. I hunched over a little to hear what he was going to say and he said to me:

“Let me give you a little life lesson. In sports and life there are two main things to remember: hustle and have fun. If you do both of those in sports and in life you will have succeeded.”

With that he shuffled out the door.

Sage advice from someone who has gained a life full of knowledge.

Keep sporting!
- Who’s In First

No comments: