Who's In First League Management

The Top of the Standings

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Everyday Athlete: Erika on Triathlons

Welcome to the fourth edition of the "Everyday Athlete" series where we will interview rec athletes about their favorite sports. The athletes interviewed participate in a variety of sports, across a wide spectrum of skill levels and are located all over the country. None of the athletes interviewed are professionals and mainly compete in their sports or events at nights or on the weekends. It is the purpose of this series to show that anyone can get out, play sports and keep sporting, regardless of age, athletic ability, or life activities.

If you would like to be the subject of an upcoming "Everyday Athlete" segment, please feel free to Contact Us.

1. NAME: Erika

2. LOCATION: Chicago

3. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PARTICIPATING IN TRIATHLONS? 2 years

4. HOW MANY TRIATHLONS HAVE YOU COMPLETED? 3

5. WHAT MADE YOU START DOING TRIATHLONS? I used to be a competitive swimmer in college and wanted to get back into competitions. There weren't a lot of options for swim races but there's a ton of triathlons here in the Chicago area.

6. WHY DO PARTICIPATE IN TRIATHLONS? I feel it's a new challenge I hadn't done before and I like to see how I can push my body. There are a few things I feel I need to do before I die and an Iron Man is one of them, I am slowly working towards it.

7. TO GET A SENSE OF TRIATHLON TRIANING, HOW DO YOU SPLIT UP YOUR TRAINING BETWEEN THE BIKE, SWIM AND RUN? Since I am a really strong swimmer I focus mostly on my biking and my run. I usually hop in the pool once a week and try and get in 2-3 miles. I try to run two days a week and bike two days a week. Right now I am running about 4 miles a week but in spring summer I up my run and bike and by high point I am running a total of 10 miles, 5 miles every other day and biking 15-20 miles at least two days a week for a total of 30 – 40 miles a week.

8. WHAT IS YOUR STRONGEST LEG OF A TRIATHLON? Swimming by far.

9. WHAT IS THE BEST EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD IN A TRIATHLON? Crossing the finish line on my first one.

10. WHAT IS THE WORST EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD IN A TRIATHLON? I was in a bad car accident and I pushed myself to get into a race too soon. I didn't know I had torn my lungs in the accident and the whole race hurt terribly. I almost couldn't finish the leg of the race and had to walk a bunch.

11. ANY GOOD INJURIES? Not from a triathlon.

12. BESIDES TRIATHLONS, DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN ANY ORGANIZED RUNNING EVENTS (5Ks, "Fun Runs", Marathons, etc)? IF SO, WHICH WERE YOUR FAVORITES? WHY? Yes, I do the Shamrock Shuffle and the Wrigley Run, they are both 5k's and are fun events I participate in with friends.

13. BESIDES TRIATHLONS, DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN ANY ORGANIZED CYCLING EVENTS? IF SO, WHICH WERE YOUR FAVORITES? WHY? No, I haven't participated in any cycling events.

14. BESIDES TRIATHLONS, DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN ANY ORGANIZED SWIMMING EVENTS? IF SO, WHICH WERE YOUR FAVORITES? WHY? No, since college I have not participated in pure swimming event, there are just not a lot of options here in Chicago to race.

15. DO YOU LISTEN TO AN IPOD OR MP3 PLAYER WHILE YOU RUN OR BIKE? WHAT DO YOU GENERALLY LISTEN TO (books, talk radio, music radio, melodic music, "pump me up" music, other)? If I am biking outside I am on Lakeshore Drive and do not listen to an iPod because it's too crowded and you need to hear people coming up behind you. Biking indoors and always running I do listen to an iPod, depending on my mood it's either heavy metal like Metallica, Anthrax, and AC/DC or Hip Hop Rap like 2PAC, Biggie, Outcast and Eazy E.

16. IN THE WINTER HOW DO YOU TRAIN FOR A TRIATHLON? I belong to a large gym here in Chicago where I work out. I run on the treadmill and swim in the pool at the club and take Spin Classes. In the winter I feel this is enough for me but once it gets warm out is when I really put the time into training.

17. WHAT DO YOU DO TO PREPARE MENTALY FOR A TRIATHLON? Not much really, I do exactly what I did when I swam in college. Eat a lot of pasta the day before and then a few hours before the race start stretching and getting myself pumped up, almost to the point of anger and listen to AC/DC Back in Black and Thunderstruck as loud as possible.

18. WHAT TYPE OF DIET DO YOU REGIMENT YOURSELF TO WHILE TRAINING? None really, I just stay away from fast food and drink a ton of water.

19. DO YOU WORKOUT ALONGSIDE TRAINING, OR DO YOU JUST RUN, BIKE AND SWIM? WHY/WHY NOT? I do workout along side training the winter time. I typically take a bunch of different classes at the gym that do interval training.

20. ANY ADVICE TO SOMEONE LOOKING TO GET INTO TRIATHLONS? You should just try it; there are all types of people who do them from the experienced athlete to the mom of 4 who just wants to try one. I have seen all shapes, sizes and ages compete so as long as you have the dedication you can complete one.

Thanks for the interview Erika! And remember, if you would like to be a feature of an "Everyday Athlete" segment, Contact Us.

Keep sporting!
- Who's In First

No comments: